Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Challenge of technology and Web 2.0

Perhaps the most challenging development at West mesquite has been our emphasis on using technology to make instruction more powerful, engaging, and accessible for all of our stake holders. One of the resources our district provides for us to support this effort is the class "23 things". It is a self paced program that works to introduce the learner to emerging technologies that are having a positive impact on classrooms.

I’m excited about the possibilities of web 2.0 but wonder about the challenges. Our teachers are interested in having our students use tools like the portable computer lab, but they become frustrated with the lack of availability, or the slowness of the server. That is where my greatest fears lie. Extending promises to our stakeholders that we have trouble supporting. I am hopeful that our district will be successful in their application for a large federal technology grant. They have talked about purchasing Promethean boards for our core teachers, personal response units (clickers) and other technology upgrades for these classes as well. I think we are taking steps to improve the way we use technology on our campus. I am envious of other districts with grater financial resources that are able to provide their teachers and students with greater technological resources. Our current campus technology infrastructure and hardware could certainly use a booster shot.

The thing that gives me confidence that we can overcome some of these barriers is our staff’s willingness to innovate and improvise. Wes Bolton, one of our science teachers got tired of waiting for the funds for an Elmo . He talked our principal into buying web cams for our science teachers. They are cheaper, and the teachers can do things with them they can’t do with the Elmo, like record audio. One of our assistant principals, Lisa Perry helped organize a teacher technology showcase. It used the rolling staff development concept to provide our teachers to simple ways they use technology in their classrooms. I was encouraged to hear teachers’ comments supporting the notion that these were things they can and will use in their classes. Its examples like this that tell me we can do it.

I think the most important thing for both me and my colleagues is to not get frustrated. Take a dive in and try it. Track your progress and don't be afraid to get input from others, whether it is your peers or your students. As an administrator I feel strongly that we need to let the teachers and students drive the innovations. Administrators function best as facilitators, role models, and acquisition agents. I am working on curbing my urge to dictate and improving my listening and supportive skills. Let me know how I'm doing !

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I enjoyed reading about your efforts to use technology at WMHS and how 23 Things will contribute to that effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for Wes and his creativity. Love my "document camera."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your point, do what you can with what you have. It is just too easy to make all kinds of excuses for maintaining the status quo. I think it is great that you are helping teachers to see what other teachers are able to accomplish when faced with similar resources and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to the new technology that has been promised to us here at West. I wish I could have my students do a technology project in place of one two of the nine papers the students have to write in English classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree we don't need to get too frustrated. As we all know technology changes quickly. We have to adjust and remember the biggest thing of all if your not sure ASK!!

    ReplyDelete