Tuesday, September 29, 2009

7.5 Habits Lets Play !

I guess it s fairly obvious that the last rule, 7.5 is the one I follow most fervently. Others who have taken the 23 things course have warned me that the time requirements can sap some of the thrill you initially feel. I must say that hasn't happened yet. I look forward to each new toy that the course reveals with anticipation. I look at the other participants’ blogs and jealously hunt for new whistles and bells when I see their efforts. I noticed visitors’ pictures tonight in the comment section and immediately began searching my pic files for an appropriate photo. I'm looking for a caption to go with it. Maybe tan gradually and carry a big mallet? Not quite right. I'll keep thinking.

Most of the rules for lifelong learning are things I feel fairly comfortable with. My greatest strength in this area, my zest for playful exploration, is an insidious trap when it comes to my greatest weakness, keeping the purpose of my learning at the forefront of my efforts. That's probably obvious to those of you who noticed that I'm just now blogging on thing #1. I guess in the end if I want my school to benefit from all of this I need to make my weakness my focus. Like our students I could play endlessly with little in the way of substantive progress. If the effort I put into this class is going to be anything more than an excuse to sit at the computer and mindlessly surf and type I'll need to rely on my peers at West to keep me grounded. That's right Tarpley, make sure to tap me on the shoulder and pull me in from the playground when the recess bell rings. Maybe my motto for the year should be play with a purpose, yeah, I like that. Play on!

No comments:

Post a Comment